UPnP support in tinc

Etienne Dechamps etienne at edechamps.fr
Thu Nov 12 21:08:55 CET 2015

On 12 November 2015 at 01:15, fauno <fauno at kiwwwi.com.ar> wrote:
> Etienne Dechamps <etienne at edechamps.fr> writes:
>> (I realize that this means UPnP support could possibly be achieved
>> simply by suggesting that the user spawn some standalone UPnP client
>> process in the background from the tinc-up hook. That's not very
>> user-friendly, though. Especially on Windows.)
>
> something like this :P
>
> https://github.com/LibreVPN/librevpn/blob/develop/lib/skel/scripts/port-forwarding

Unless I'm missing something, the problem with that script is that it
won't keep the mapping alive. If the home router expires the mapping
after a while (which is bound to happen, otherwise it would end up
with accumulating garbage) or resets, there's nothing to "refresh" it.

Ideally, one would want a daemon (or at least some kind of periodic
event) that keeps refreshing the mapping (like every minute or so).
Which at best would be annoying to manage (on POSIX), or at worse
would be a PITA (on Windows). Hence my suggestion to integrate it
directly into tincd.