Isolating a subnet on demand

Etienne Dechamps etienne at edechamps.fr
Mon May 4 22:01:24 CEST 2015

On 4 May 2015 at 20:53, Anne-Gwenn Kettunen <anwen at asphodelium.eu> wrote:
> We started to take a look about that, and apparently, it seems that the IP
> in the public key is taken into account when a client connects to a gateway.
> Spoofing at that level doesn't seem easy, because the IP address seems to be
> part of the authentication process.

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by "gateway",
"authentication process" and "IP address" especially when you say it's
part of the "public key" (it's not).

Can you clarify? I am pretty sure tinc doesn't use IP addresses in any
of its security mechanisms, except when StrictSubnets is enabled.

> Dealing with inside threats seems however a good feature for future versions

According to http://tinc-vpn.org/goals/ it's planned for tinc 2.0,
which AFAIK won't arrive anytime soon.

I have some ideas about implementing some crude form of Subnet access
controls for centralized graphs in tinc 1.1 - it would basically look
like StrictSubnets, but more flexible - I have not started on that
yet.