tinc connectTo cleanup

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Jan 13 10:15:48 CET 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:37:28AM +0530, Anil Moris wrote:

> if I use AutoConnect = yes then will it automatically remove connections
> that are no longer in use?
> What are the security issues with 'AutoConnect = yes' I should be worried?
> for my use case I might go upto 20 to 30 + tinc hosts connected to single
> tinc box.
> as per the doc AutoConnect = yes is experimental, I am using it in our
> production cloud.
>
> It would be helpful if we can have more info about AutoConnect = yes in the
> documentation.

If AutoConnect is enabled, then tinc will try to maintain at least 3
meta-connections to other nodes. It will randomly choose them from known
nodes for which it also knows a public key. If there are more than 3
meta-connections, it will close connections if that will not cause a
node to disconnect from the mesh.

You can still have regular ConnectTo variables in tinc.conf, so tinc
always tries to connect to those nodes first.