Windows TAP Problems?

Tanel Liiv liivtanel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 18:29:40 CET 2015

Etienne Dechamps <etienne at ...> writes:

> You should mention your tinc version and the version of the
> "TAP-Windows Adapter V9" driver for the virtual network device you're
> using (i.e. the contents of "Driver version" as seen in the Device
> Manager).
>
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Adam Del Vecchio <adam at ...> wrote:
> > Hello tincers,
> >
> > I was recently trying to add a new Windows client to my tinc network and ran
> > into an interesting error; upon starting tinc I am met with the usual
> > successful startup (debug level 0; detects TAP device; Ready), however it
> > appears that any writes/reads from the TAP device fail with:
> >
> > "Error while writing to Windows tap device <device ID truncated>: (997)
> > Overlapped I/O operation is in progress"
> > [...]

Hello, I am experiencing the exact same problem.
On Windows 8.1.
Tap version: 9.0.0.21
Tinc: 1.0.25

It seems tinc is working (I can ping 3 other hosts on the network). But it
seems it makes tinc a bit unstable, because the first few times it failed
to run correctly(cmd hung after a huge load of those I/O errors).

Regards,
Tanel Liiv