tincd gives kernel general protection ip error.

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sun Apr 6 16:53:02 CEST 2014

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 01:08:56PM -0600, Lance Fredrickson wrote:

> On a recently formatted debiann 7 server, I'm running tinc1.1pre9 and
> running in to this type of error every 3-4 days.
>
> Mar 31 19:35:26 MediaBox kernel: [256033.433285] tincd[3301] general
> protection ip:406961 sp:7fff9e763b20 error:0 in tincd[400000+28000]
>
> I initially had compiled tinc1.1pre9 creating a static binary using musl
> libc.  Thinking it must have been an issue with musl I recompiled against
> the system libraries, but am still hitting this issue. Another older debiann
> 7 system has run for months without issue, so I'm not sure why this server
> is having issues.

Was the older system also running the same static binary that was compiled
using musl? In any case, could you recompile it with debugging flags (-g -O0),
make sure you enable coredumps (ulimit -c unlimited), and run it in the
foreground (-D)? This way, when it crashes it should leave a core dump that can
be read by a gdb. Could you then either send me the tincd binary and the core
file, or send me the backtrace (gdb ./tincd core -ex 'bt full')?

Also, what kind of machine is MediaBox?