IPv6 routed setup

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Jul 2 16:32:11 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 03:20:14PM +0200, Jan Lühr wrote:

> we're planning an IPv6-Deployment using tinc. A routed tinc-network should connect a couple of wireless access points. In order to avoiding scaling issues, the network should not be run in switched mode.
> Our site uses 2001:470:780f::/56 -  Each ap gets a single /64 network, to be distributed to its wireless clients.
[...]
> However, I'm still uncertain on my host configurations - I have these in my mind:
>
> AP 1:
> Subnet =   10.0.1.0/24
> Subnet =   2001:470:780f:1::/64
> -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
>
> AP 2:
> Subnet =   10.0.1.0/24
> Subnet =   2001:470:780f:2::/64
> -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----
>
> Gateway:
> Subnet =   0.0.0.0/0
> Subnet =   ::/0
> -----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

Those configuration files look fine!

> But theses question continue to bother me:
> -> Can tinc assign a IPv4 and an IPv6 address at the same time?

You can freely mix IPv4 and IPv6 with tinc.

> -> What IPv6-address and netmask will be assigned to the tun/tap-interfaces of the three nodes (Gateway, AP 1, AP 2)? If a public v6 address is assigned, is it done regarding to RFC 3578?

Tinc itself does not assign addresses to interfaces, that is left up to you.
For example, in the tinc-up script on AP 1, you could add:

#!/bin/sh
ip addr add 10.0.1.1/16 dev $INTERFACE
ip addr add 2001:470:780f:1::1/56 dev $INTERFACE
ip link set $INTERFACE up

> -> Will site local multicast work? Eg will all ntp-servers be reachable by ff05::101?

Yes, that will work.