IPv6 routed setup

Jan Lühr tinc at stephan.homeunix.net
Mon Jul 2 15:20:14 CEST 2012

Hello folks,

we're planning an IPv6-Deployment using tinc. A routed tinc-network should connect a couple of wireless access points. In order to avoiding scaling issues, the network should not be run in switched mode.
Our site uses 2001:470:780f::/56 -  Each ap gets a single /64 network, to be distributed to its wireless clients.

Example:
ap 1:  2001:470:780f:1::/64
ap 2:  2001:470:780f:2::/64
etc.
One tinc-node ist providing internet-access and should be used as default gatway for all services (route ::/0).
Furthermore a private IPv4 network ist deployed in advance - each node gets a private IPv4-range as well
ap 1: 10.0.1.0/24
ap 2: 10.0.2.0/24
Again, one node is used as a default gateway (route 0.0.0.0/0)

However, I'm still uncertain on my host configurations - I have these in my mind:

AP 1:
Subnet =   10.0.1.0/24
Subnet =   2001:470:780f:1::/64
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

AP 2:
Subnet =   10.0.1.0/24
Subnet =   2001:470:780f:2::/64
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

Gateway:
Subnet =   0.0.0.0/0
Subnet =   ::/0
-----BEGIN RSA PUBLIC KEY-----

But theses question continue to bother me:
-> Can tinc assign a IPv4 and an IPv6 address at the same time?
-> What IPv6-address and netmask will be assigned to the tun/tap-interfaces of the three nodes (Gateway, AP 1, AP 2)? If a public v6 address is assigned, is it done regarding to RFC 3578?
-> Will site local multicast work? Eg will all ntp-servers be reachable by ff05::101?

Thanks,
Keep smiling
yanosz