New IPv6 Example / Routing not clear to me

Philipp Klaus philipp.klaus at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 11:17:36 CET 2012

Hi Michael,

when I was looking for information on tinc in combination with IPv6, I
also found your new tutorial at that time (earlier this month).
Somehow a couple of things are less clear to me in the newer tutorial
(maybe the nice network topology image is missing).

OK, you added the unique local addresses to the setup. But I dont't
get it how the routing is done in your setup.
You don't even have a default route set in your tinc.conf. How does
this work? I should assume it has something to do with the title
"Dynamically-Routed IPv6 [...]" ;-)

For your setup to work do you need to have a native IPv6 connection
provided by your ISP at the different sites?

In my setup, everything works exactly the way you were describing it
in the 2007 tinc IPv6 tutorial (thanks for the tutorial!). I'm using a
tunnel (by SIXXS) and different sites that only have native IPv4
support (which I assigned a static /64 prefix each then). The main
difference is that I don't use quagga but radvd for autoconfiguration
at the sites. The setup as a whole is working quite well I must say!

It would be awesome if you could shed some light on how your setup is
working now.

Thank you!

Philipp