Tinc performance on a Dir-300

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) zioproto at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 09:42:56 CET 2010

>>> this will cause new TCP connections to use segments that fit your interface
>>> MTU.
>
> I have had this problem too!  Can you do the same for UDP connections?

Sorry of this VERY late reply. I missed your email until now.

No, you can't do it that simple with UDP.

With TCP you have a three way handshake when setting up the connection
where you can adjust the MSS with the --clamp-mss-to-pmtu iptables
magic

In UDP there is no "connection". Every packet is a single packet.

What you can do is tuning the MTU of the tinc interface on the device
that generates the UDP traffic. Putting it to a lower value (usually
1280 is okay) it will happen that most likely your packets will not be
fragmented on the way.

I suggest 1280 in the tun/tap interface and 1492 on the physical
ethernet interface. Again this are safe values for avoid frammenting
but you may find better values depending on the networks you are
using.

Saverio