Tinc config

Craig Hillsdon chillsdon at gmail.com
Tue May 11 10:07:00 CEST 2010

Hi Albi

Thank you for replying, and so quickly.  I'm afraid that I still don't fully
understand but then I am not really a network guy.

With the host file where my subnet = 10.0.0.3/32 is this a way or writing a
single IP with a subnet mask (i.e. 10.0.0.3 and 255.255.255.255) or is this
actually specifying an IP range i.e. 10.0.0.3 to 10.0.0.32?  If it is the
latter, do I need /32 (or /anything) if I only need a single IP address?

Also, as this is getting in to the realms of networking that I am not
familiar with, would you be able to confirm that the way I have it set up:

PC1:
  host file Subnet = 10.0.0.3/32, interface IP = 10.0.0.3, interface mask =
255.0.0.0

PC2:
  host file Subnet = 10.0.0.4/32, interface IP = 10.0.0.4, interface mask =
255.0.0.0

 is correct and secure?

Thanks again Albi, I appreciate your help.

Regards

Craig.

On 11 May 2010 08:44, Albi Rebmann <albi at albi.life.de> wrote:

> > Although it is working, have I got something wrong?  Should the Subnet in
> > the local host file not exactly match the subnet in the local TAP
> > interface?
> >  Thank you in advance for any help on this.
>
> The mask of the interface is the ip range you can use in your tinc vpn
> netzwork (cloud). All these ips go to your vpn.
> The ip (ranges) in your host file tell the vpn, that this ip(s) is(are)
> available at this computer (vpn endpoint).
> This way, tinc knows on which endpoint which ip is available.
> And you need no extra routing table changes.
>

> ALBI...

Regards
Craig