Tinc on Linux and tap device problem

ZioPRoTo (Saverio Proto) zioproto at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 21:31:36 CET 2010

Hello,

I successfully set up a tunnel with tinc using the tun interface.

however I need a tap device, because I need to run the OLSR routing
protocol on the tunnel and if I use the tun mode OLSR will just skip
the interface. (It is a well known thing, I had this issue before also
when using OpenVPN in the past).

The problem is that I cannot make tinc use a tap device.

I created the tap0 interface with tunctl, however I have no tap0
characted device in /dev

So in my tinc.conf a directive like:
Device = /dev/tap0

makes no sense.

If I don't give anyconfiguration tinc uses /dev/net/tun and sets up
the VPN in tun mode without problems.

DeviceType directive seems to be ignored on my Linux system (and it is
ok on the documentation is says BSD only)

I also tried to create my self the character device for tap0 with
mknod like this:
 mknod /dev/tap0 c 36 16

it creates a node in /dev but still does not work. I have this output:

tincd 1.0.11 (Jan  5 2010 14:34:19) starting, debug level 0
Could not open /dev/tap0: No such device or address
Terminating

please anybody is actually using tinc with a tap device? is there any
template configuration file ? thanks

Saverio