multiple addresses and multiple ports in Switch mode

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 09:26:18 CET 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 4:09 AM, Guus Sliepen <guus at tinc-vpn.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:49:52PM -0600, Rob Townley wrote:
>
> > this node doesnt have two nics, the public address is for those
> > connecting from the public side of the NAT.  As far as that tinc node
> > knows, it is using 655.  i will look elsewhwere for the connection
> > problem. dynamic dns of port number could help tinc get better meta
> > knowledge about itself.
>
> Hm, what kind of NAT? If you have a Linux box with netfilter, then if tinc
> behind that NAT makes an outgoing connection first, it will probably keep
> 655
> as the source port.

There would be multiple outgoing tinc nodes behind a NAT, only one could be
655.  Dynamic port numbers make me feel more secure.

> > What was the name of the dns library you recommended?  Does it work
> > with dnsmasq?
>
> I do not remember recommending a DNS library... Maybe I mentioned
> dyndns.org?

it was a programming library.  It definitely wasn't dyndns.org because i
have been using that for over a decade.

> > Do you use gdb debugger?
>
> Yes, it's an invaluable tool.

Great.  I hope to attempt  to run some of tinc through gdb.