MacOS Compile questions

David Hieber david at hieber.net
Fri Apr 3 06:59:38 CEST 2009

Hello,
I've just compiled tinc on OS X and have the following questions when
following the instructions in the manual on the web.

My environment is as follows:
OS X 10.5.6
Fink 0.9.0 (Binary Package)
I'm using TunTap 20080804 from http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/

1. dlcompat is not found in fink. It seemed to compile ok without it,
is this critical? I saw no mention of it in the configure or make
output.
3. If you run a config, make, make install, it installs to /usr/local/
sbin and expects the config files to be in /usr/local/etc (which you
have to create) instead of /etc. If that's normal then the docs
probably need to be updated for OS X to reflect the path change and
need to create the etc directory or indicate whether you should use a
--prefix= switch. I'm not sure what the best practice would be for tinc.

Thanks in advance for any responses, Im no network guru and this is my
first VPN so bear with me.