Working or not working depending on variable order in tinc.conf

Viktors Žilinskis viktors.zilinskis at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 01:11:42 CEST 2008

Hello!

I was trying to set up a VPN between a FreeBSD and Windows box. I
didn't have to invent anything, as this connection worked before, but
I had to reinstall WinXP from scratch. Being too lazy to use previous
setup from a backup I set up it once again by memory. It didn't work,
so I started to refer to a working connection between FreeBSD and
Ubuntu. Then I found out that on my box depending on the order the
variables in tinc.conf appear, the setup might or might not work. Due
to the fact that I don't remember that the importance of order of
variables were mentioned in official documentation I decided to write
this letter. So here are  the tinc.conf files:

##########
# working #
##########
Name=winxp_client
ConnectTo=fbsd_server
Interface=tinctap

#############
# not working #
#############
Interface=tinctap
Name=winxp_client
ConnectTo=fbsd_server

# output of non working sample #
C:\tinc>tincd -D -d3 -n lenovo
tincd 1.0.8 (May 16 2007 17:41:21) starting, debug level 3
Tap reader running
{4D484A14-B54A-4650-B3FD-0D3EE31A8D67} (tinctap) is a Windows tap device
Listening on 0.0.0.0 port 655
Ready