TAP unistall issue Windows XP - Update

Graham Smith graham at watchmanager.net
Sun Dec 28 23:34:05 CET 2008

Hi Guus,

> Apart from cleaning the registry, it might be a good idea to make tinc
proof against these false entries.
> I was also wondering if you use the Interface keyword in your tinc.conf or
not, and whether this makes a difference?

Yes I am using "Interface = .." and I cannot honestly tell if it makes any
difference.  I don't think it does.

I have been installing and uninstalling the TAP driver a number of times for
my tests and I have been renaming the installed adaptor the same in each
test run eg. "vpn"

When I uninstall, we end up with however many different adaptor bindings in
the registry, all with the same name "vpn" and I think this is where tinc
may be getting confused?

I have discovered what appears to be a parallel or companion sub-key that
holds AdaptorGUID's for all uninstalled adaptors.  I cannot find any
references or docs detailing or describing this key anywhere?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\Uninstalled\{Ada
ptorGUID}

Basically, each time you uninstall an adaptor, the adaptorGUID is written to
the "Uninstalled" sub-key.  I am guessing that Windows uses this sub-key to
differentiate between "active" and "uninstalled" adaptors in the main
"Network" key?

I will try and adjust the clean-up utility to enumerate these "uninstalled"
guid's, then setup a script to remove the corresponding entries under the
main Network Key and then lastly, clean up the "uninstalled" guid's so we
only cleanup the real uninstalled adaptors.

> That's great. Are you willing to share this utility?

Once I have had a chance to make it "bullet proof" and presentable, I'll
post a link.

Kind regards
Graham Smith