TAP unistall issue Windows XP - Update

Graham Smith graham at watchmanager.net
Sun Dec 28 14:32:20 CET 2008

Hi,

To recap, after installing and uninstalling TINC a number of times, TINC
eventually wouldn't start.

Debug gave a "".. not a usable Windows TAP Device.. File not found" error.

After doing some digging, I found a dozen or so duplicate Network Adaptor
bindings for the TAP driver in the Windows Registry.

These were essentially orphaned entries as there was no corresponding
Adaptor in "Network Connections" panel.

I manually deleted these orphaned keys and then TINC was happy.

I haven't found a reason why this situation exists but I did find a related
article on MS Support site - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899868

Tried putting some code together to try and "fix" this, but this didn't
work.

App received an "Access Denied" error even though I am running as Admin.
Checked permissions, tried reboots, tried rebooting in Safe Mode etc., no
luck.

It appears that one cannot programmatically delete these keys using api
calls ?

Further searching found this article which offers a solution, though
purist's may consider it messy :) -
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/regedit.html