Tinc for gaming

Russell Handorf rhandorf at handorf.org
Wed Nov 8 14:42:40 CET 2006

Last I remember, there is a problem with Tinc and bridging (ethernet)
mode anyways where it pads broadcast packets with more and more data as
they broadcast down the line. I havent checked to see if this has been
fixed yet or not, but what I have is the following.

Two "ethernet" VPN tunnel endpoints, A and B. A is the primary VPN
cloud, and B is the fail over cloud. User's routers have tunnel sessions
to both A and B at the same time. Then we use OSPFv2 on top of this
cloud to best determine which cloud is the one to route packets over.
There is also a VPN connection between A and B as well.

ASCII ART:

       Primary Tunnel                             Secondary Tunnel
                A----------------------------------B
              / |  |  \                                            / |  |  \
            /  /   \   \                                         /  /
\   \
          /   |     |    \                                      /
|     |    \
|     |      \
       1a   2a  3a    4a                             1b  2b  3b    4b

Russell Handorf

The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entity
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.