system call 'listen' failed: under WinXP

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon May 15 00:15:45 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 10:03:18PM +0200, sich wrote:

> It's my first post on this mailing list, and my english is not very
> good. I hope this is not a problem for you.
>
> I have successfully install a lot of tind under windows XP, but a friend
> made one installation (I help with mail) and he have this error when he
> try to run tincd :
>
> ---
> system call 'listen' failed: l'operation tenté n'est pas prise en charge
> pour le type d'objet référencé
> ---

Your english is quite understandable, but my French is not so good.
Could you tell me the meaning of the error message?

> Apparently the installation is ok. He have applied all the patch,
> desactived all firewall.

Really? The only two reasons for the listen() call to fail is when some
other process is already listening on the same port, or when a firewall
blocks listening on that port. You can try to let tinc listen on another
port with the Port statement in the host config file.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>