Windows TAP or TUN?

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Mon Nov 8 21:49:48 CET 2004

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 05:32:54PM -0600, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> I have downloaded TINC which I will be installing on Windows 2000/XP
> machines but have noticed that it wants to create TAP devices instead of
> TUN devices.
>
> The reason that this is of concern is because from my reading I
> understand that TINC requires a TAP device for each instance of TINC
> running on a Windows 2000/XP node but the TUN devices seem to suggest
> that only a single TUN device can handle many instances of TINC.
>
> Did I miss something here?
>
> How can I make TINC create/utilize TUN devices on Windows?

The difference in tun and tap devices is very small, and has nothing to
do with how many instances can open it. Regardless of tun or tap, on
Windows you have to have one device per instance of tinc. If you want to
run more than one tincd, use the addtap.bat command to add more devices.
On the other hand, one tincd can handle more than one connection to
other tinc daemons, so you might not need to resort to that.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>