Windows TAP or TUN?

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at neenet.com
Mon Nov 8 00:32:54 CET 2004

Hello All,

I have downloaded TINC which I will be installing on Windows 2000/XP
machines but have noticed that it wants to create TAP devices instead of
TUN devices.

The reason that this is of concern is because from my reading I
understand that TINC requires a TAP device for each instance of TINC
running on a Windows 2000/XP node but the TUN devices seem to suggest
that only a single TUN device can handle many instances of TINC.

Did I miss something here?

How can I make TINC create/utilize TUN devices on Windows?

Thanks,
Lonnie