Configuration Help. Ping says Destination unreachable.

Shashank Khanvilkar shashank at mia.ece.uic.edu
Tue Jun 10 23:47:21 CEST 2003

> This should be:
>
> ifconfig $INTERFACE hw ether fe:fd:0:0:0:0
>
> Why you have to use this magic MAC address is a long story which I
> probably should write down somewhere.
>
> Furthermore, I see you use netmask 255.255.255.0 in both tinc-ups, that
> should be 255.255.0.0 or you have to add an extra route somehow. But I
> guess you already did something like that because otherwise the ping
> packet wouldn't even go to the tun/tap device anyway.
>
> Apart from the above, I don't see anything wrong!

Thanks Guus,
it has started working ...
I will soon put up a How-to, which I guess will help beginner to get it
working.

As you pointed out, the error was with the ether net HW address. If you do
get time
in future, please let me know why this happens (and whether it happens in
the other modes, i.e. switch and hub).

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/