Configuration Help. Ping says Destination unreachable.

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Tue Jun 10 22:45:56 CEST 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 12:31:49PM -0500, Shashank Khanvilkar wrote:

> I changed the configuration as you told me.. But still ping can't get to
> the other end.
> Sorry for taking so much of you time.. I have listed all the configs and
> the logs at the below URL:
> http://mia.ece.uic.edu/~papers/volans/tincd.html

Ok, that makes life easy :). As you can see in the logs, tinc is reading
from the tun/tap device on mia, it is sent to zidler, zidler receives
them and sends them to the tun/tap device. The only problem is that
zidler never sends a ping reply back.

One problem is that in zidler's tinc-up you have:

ifconfig $INTERFACE hw ether fe:fe:0:0:0:0

This should be:

ifconfig $INTERFACE hw ether fe:fd:0:0:0:0

Why you have to use this magic MAC address is a long story which I
probably should write down somewhere.

Furthermore, I see you use netmask 255.255.255.0 in both tinc-ups, that
should be 255.255.0.0 or you have to add an extra route somehow. But I
guess you already did something like that because otherwise the ping
packet wouldn't even go to the tun/tap device anyway.

Apart from the above, I don't see anything wrong!

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>