tinc to secure a wireless network

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Thu Dec 4 12:00:14 CET 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 05:47:32PM +1100, Ron Palmer wrote:

> I am looking at a suitable VPN to secure a wireless notebook hanging off
> a private, wired network.
>
> Is tinc suitable for this?

Yes.

> specifics:
> "notebook" 192.168.205.63
> "AProuter" (access point/computer that the notebook will connect to):
> 192.168.205.31
>
> What numbers should I give to the various nodes?

That's completely up to you.

> At this stage, only one notebook VPN:ed to the wired network.
>
> I presume I should run non-masquerading firewalls on both "notebook" and
> "AProuter" to stop people accessing the notebook/wired network.

Yes.

> If tinc, should I run this in bridging mode? What if I wish to add more
> notebooks later - new /etc/tinc/name for each notebook?

Don't run tinc in bridging mode if you don't understand what it does.
The default, routing mode, is just fine. If you want to add more
notebooks to the same VPN, you don't make a new /etc/tinc/name.

> Any pointers are welcome. Please include me in reply as I am not yet on
> your list.

Read the documentation, especially the example in the manual. Then just
try to set it up.

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>