tinc to secure a wireless network

Ron Palmer ron at lorotech.com.au
Thu Dec 4 07:47:32 CET 2003

Hi all and greetings from Australia,
I am looking at a suitable VPN to secure a wireless notebook hanging off
a private, wired network.

Is tinc suitable for this?

specifics:
"notebook" 192.168.205.63
"AProuter" (access point/computer that the notebook will connect to):
192.168.205.31

What numbers should I give to the various nodes?

At this stage, only one notebook VPN:ed to the wired network.

I presume I should run non-masquerading firewalls on both "notebook" and
"AProuter" to stop people accessing the notebook/wired network.

If tinc, should I run this in bridging mode? What if I wish to add more
notebooks later - new /etc/tinc/name for each notebook?

Any pointers are welcome. Please include me in reply as I am not yet on
your list.

Many thanks,
Ron

--