ping: Bad Code: 6

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.eu.org
Mon Dec 1 18:53:47 CET 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:02:09AM -0500, Jeff Pyle wrote:

> Still experimenting with the automesh function.  In the midst of that, I
> encountered a new problem.
>
> Of the 6 linux boxes in my tinc VPN, 3 were RedHat 9, 1 was Suse 9 Pro,
> 1 was Fedora Core 1, and one was RedHat 8.0.  All was well.  They were
> running a mix of the static binary and locally compiled-from-source
> binaries.  I updated two of the RedHat 9 boxes to Fedora Core 1, about 3
> days apart.  After the first update, no problem with the tinc tunnels.
> Now, after the second, there is.  The two boxes I've updated cannot talk
> directly to each other through the tunnels.  When I try to ping, I get
> Bad Code:  6.  I can't figure out what that means.

The standard ping command on Linux is a little bit retarded, and doesn't
know about some very valid ICMP codes, instead claims they are "Bad".
Code 6 means: destination net unknown. It is generated by tinc if you
try to send packets to an IP address for which no Subnet is known.
Either because there really is no such Subnet specified, or because the
tinc daemon which owns that Subnet is not running.

You can do "tincd -n <netname> -kusr2" to let tinc log a list of all
Subnets it knows about.

> It seems that I can
> get from one linux host to machines on the LAN behind the second linux
> host, but ping times reveal it's not going straight through (automesh
> problem again).  I have ConnectTo statements for all boxes on all
> boxes.  Exactly the same config and hosts files worked just fine before
> I redid the boxes.

I wouldn't trust ping times, use tcpdump or increase tinc's logging
verbosity to see if the packets really go straight or not. For example,
start tinc with "tincd -n <netname> -d5 -D".

    Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.eu.org>