ping: Bad Code: 6

Jeff Pyle kg8iu at qsl.net
Mon Dec 1 16:02:09 CET 2003

Still experimenting with the automesh function.  In the midst of that, I
encountered a new problem.

Of the 6 linux boxes in my tinc VPN, 3 were RedHat 9, 1 was Suse 9 Pro,
1 was Fedora Core 1, and one was RedHat 8.0.  All was well.  They were
running a mix of the static binary and locally compiled-from-source
binaries.  I updated two of the RedHat 9 boxes to Fedora Core 1, about 3
days apart.  After the first update, no problem with the tinc tunnels.
Now, after the second, there is.  The two boxes I've updated cannot talk
directly to each other through the tunnels.  When I try to ping, I get
Bad Code:  6.  I can't figure out what that means.  It seems that I can
get from one linux host to machines on the LAN behind the second linux
host, but ping times reveal it's not going straight through (automesh
problem again).  I have ConnectTo statements for all boxes on all
boxes.  Exactly the same config and hosts files worked just fine before
I redid the boxes.

I imagine it's something I'm doing on these two Fedora boxes.  The 1,
original Fedora box is not really under my direct administration, so it
probably escaped my unintentional wrath.

I figured I'd open this up to the group so, if nothing else, perhaps
someone could explain what Bad Code 6 is.

As always, thanks.

- Jeff

Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/