Using a tinc vpn as a default route

Jamie Briggs jamie.briggs at computalog.com
Wed May 15 02:32:37 CEST 2002

I have been trying to set up one end of a tinc vpn as a default gateway
for the other and am not having much success.

Given that I have two machines, A and B.  I have a working tinc
connection between A and B on an internal network.  B has access to
machines on A's subnet using statements such as

   Subnet=10.38.9.0/24
   Subnet=172.24.100.33/32

A is connected to the internet, B has to go through A to get there.  If
I add a specific subnet to A I can get to external hosts.  For example

   Subnet=24.0.0.0/8

will allow me to connect to 24.86.174.41 from B.

I would like to use the A as the default route for B, but when I try the
obvious

   Subnet=0.0.0.0/0

I get "Cannot route packet: unknown destination address 24.86.174.41"
from B's tinc log.

Is there a way to set up tinc as a default route other than the above?
I am using tinc 1.0pre5, is there a known problem with this version that
prevents setting up a default route through it?

This was previously working through a tinc 1.0pre2 based link and I am
in the process of upgrading.  If necessary I can run the pre2 setup a
while longer so there is no panic.

Thanks in advance for any information.

- Jamie
Tinc site:    http://tinc.nl.linux.org/