tinc connections fallout

Bart Friederichs plant at chello.nl
Wed Feb 14 10:59:04 CET 2001

> Ouch, that are some serious errors. Could you do:
>
> ls -lR /proc/`cat /var/run/tinc.pirnet.pid`
root at ophar:/proc# ls -lR 2816
2816:
total 0
-r--r--r--   1 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 cmdline
lrwx------   1 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 cwd -> //
-r--------   1 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 environ
lrwx------   1 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 exe -> /usr/local/sbin/tincd*
dr-x------   2 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 fd/
pr--r--r--   1 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 maps|
-rw-------   1 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 mem
lrwx------   1 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 root -> //
-r--r--r--   1 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 stat
-r--r--r--   1 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 statm
-r--r--r--   1 root     root            0 Feb 14 11:09 status

2816/fd:
total 0
lrwx------   1 root     root           64 Feb 14 11:09 0 -> /dev/pts/1\ (deleted)
lrwx------   1 root     root           64 Feb 14 11:09 1 -> /dev/pts/1\ (deleted)
lrwx------   1 root     root           64 Feb 14 11:09 2 -> /dev/pts/1\ (deleted)
lrwx------   1 root     root           64 Feb 14 11:09 3 -> socket:[8806990]
lrwx------   1 root     root           64 Feb 14 11:09 4 -> /dev/tap0
lrwx------   1 root     root           64 Feb 14 11:09 5 -> socket:[8806993]
lrwx------   1 root     root           64 Feb 14 11:09 6 -> socket:[9016703]
lrwx------   1 root     root           64 Feb 14 11:09 7 -> socket:[9016704]
lrwx------   1 root     root           64 Feb 14 11:09 8 -> socket:[9018192]
lrwx------   1 root     root           64 Feb 14 11:09 9 -> socket:[9016701]

> when this happens again and tell me what you see? If you see really lots of
> sockets in that directory listing then perhaps we've got a filedescriptor
> leak. If not, my next best guess would be that your kernel runs out of
> memory...
>
> Could you tell me which version of tinc and the kernel you are using, and on
> what hardware you're running this?
I am running tinc1.0pre3 on a P133 w/ 64MB of RAM on kernel 2.2.16 (Slackware
7.1).  There shouldn't be a problem... according to other mail I read on this
list from people running tinc on 486s.

Regards
Bart
The internet is a too slow way of doing things you'd never do without it.
                                              Bart Friederichs, 1998