Performance VPN over the internet

Ivo Timmermans irt at cistron.nl
Tue Feb 13 11:32:28 CET 2001

Guus Sliepen wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 02:49:48PM +0100, Fred.Krom at ict.nl wrote:
>
> > I'm new whit tinc and this mail-list.
> > I like to build a vpn over the internet between two sites in Holland and
> > Germany. Are there some experience whit the performance (turn-a-round en
> > bandwidth) of a link. I want to use it for a 1,5Mb connection.
>
> A quick experiment shows that my P200 can handle at least 2 Mbit/s. At least,
> because it is the maximum bandwith of the connection to the rest of the
> internet I have here :).

It has been shown in the past that a PII-300 can saturate a 10 Mbit
link easily.  I think it could do 13 Mbit/s, but I'm not sure now.

10 Mbit/s is about 50000 packets per second (counting avg. packet size
at just above 200 bytes).  tinc reads the packet first, then encrypts
it, and sends it away.  Being able to do that 50000 times per second
means that it adds a 20 ms extra delay on RTT figures.

So either I'm doing something wrong here (probably) or it shows that
real tests are more valuable than doing calculations :)

--
Ivo Timmermans
-