Performance VPN over the internet

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Tue Feb 13 11:17:07 CET 2001

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 02:49:48PM +0100, Fred.Krom at ict.nl wrote:

> I'm new whit tinc and this mail-list.
> I like to build a vpn over the internet between two sites in Holland and
> Germany. Are there some experience whit the performance (turn-a-round en
> bandwidth) of a link. I want to use it for a 1,5Mb connection.

A 486 DX2/66 computer running tinc will show around 10 ms extra delay if it is
pinged via tinc instead of directly. The maximum throughput on the same
computer is around 0,6 Mbit/s whereas an ssh connection (with OpenSSH) has a
maximum throughput of 0,5 Mbit/s.

Ofcourse, you are using totally different machines. But since the throughput
of ssh and tinc roughly is the same (because both are spending 99% of their
time doing the same kind of encryption), you can measure the speed with ssh:
Just copy a large file and see how long it takes, or try to send lots of data
and use a network analysis tool to measure the used bandwith.

A quick experiment shows that my P200 can handle at least 2 Mbit/s. At least,
because it is the maximum bandwith of the connection to the rest of the
internet I have here :).

The delay caused by tinc should decrease as much as the speed increases if
you're using faster machines.

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/