Drastic improvements with new kernels!

Robert Small robert at robertsmall.org
Sun Jul 28 15:06:48 CEST 2019

Morning, Afternoon, or Evening all,

I've been experimenting with the new patch that's gone into 5.3 starting
with a backported version on 5.2.1 and I'm seeing insanely better
stability. In fact, I have used the kernel exclusively since building
(19th) and testing with no additional cmdline options and have zero
crashes! I deliberately also compiled a 5.2.1 unpatched kernel and it
doesn't appear to be fluke. The patched version is stable, handles
suspends, YouTube, various web browsing, etc. The unpatched version is
barely stable enough to scp a new kernel on and install it. I've currently
got a build with JB's patch set (which includes the same one I had) running
and I'm happily using the laptop as my primary laptop. I've noticed the
sensors for ambient light don't seem to be functioning correctly and I may
have some external headphone issues but everything else I've tried works.

I didn't believe it at first so I've sent a copy to Paul for him to
test/upload.

I'm currently building 5.3-rc1 with JB's patches as well as sound and
rfkill from toshibaclick.info. If it is ready to roll I'll publish/give to
Paul/etc. so the rest of you can have it.

I'm enjoying being able to put my laptop (TCM) and a book into the laptop
part of my bag together.

Thanks,

*Robert Small*