Drastic improvements with new kernels!

Robert Small robert at robertsmall.org
Mon Jul 29 11:44:33 CEST 2019

That's actually a good point, I have some vague memory of there being a
light sensor but I might be way out and completely wrong.

I have continued testing with my 5.2.1 kernel. This time sound worked with
my headphones, what's weird is it seems something triggered YouTube to mute
itself when I plugged headphones in, possibly I just clicked the wrong spot
on the screen.

Tested w/5.2.1:

   - Bluetooth mouse
   - Suspend and resume - One small issue here in that if you turn off
   bluetooth, suspend, then resume it appears to half enable bluetooth spaming
   dmesg badly; the only fix is to enable bluetooth fully and suspend/resume
   again.
   - Hibernate (*failed!*)
   - Screen brightness
   - WiFi
   - Speakers
   - Headphones
   - Microphone
   - Rebooting without hanging (a problem with some kernels)
   - Multi-touch mousepad
   - YouTube
   - Netflix - Interesting one here, not only did it play very well but on
   low brightness when I switched back to powertop on another screen it showed
   extremely low power usage which indicates decent GPU acceleration.
   - HDMI
   - HDMI in clamshell mode (start HDMI, close the laptop, keep using it as
   a single screen)
   - Battery usage is pretty sane, I got about two and a half days out of a
   single charge with substantial amounts of time suspended.

When compiling (the as yet unused) kernel for 5.3-rc1 I confirmed that the
sound patches are already in, can't say from when but the quirk code is
there.

Given the stability of everything I'm going to remove all traces of Windows
to get a bit more space. It didn't have anything other than a web browser
and I never used it anyway so...

Thanks,

*Robert Small*