sensors and hardware buttons - was Re: 4.7.0-rc2

Paul Mansfield paul at mansfield.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 21:08:53 CEST 2016

On 30 June 2016 at 14:46, Nicolas Huillard <nicolas at huillard.net> wrote:
>> have we ever seen other sensors/signals?
>> * power button
>
> This is also a standard ACPI feature, and should be OK. I didn't check,
> but soft power off wouldn't work without it.

I've not seen the soft power-off button work, have you? How do I enable it?

>> * volume up/down?
>> * windows button
>
> These are apparently (SharksCove reference design) directly connected to
> GPIO on the SoC, and should be described in ACPI tables. This is thus
> very BayTrail-specific, and will probably work sooner or later.

maybe we can hack up something to read the pins directly?

>> * temperature sensors?
>
> I didn't try lm_sensors, but I guess temperature sensors are also
> BayTrail specific, and may not be described in the ACPI tables. There
> may be sensors in the PMIC chip too (AXP288 if I remember correctly),
> maybe available in some specific way.

I can't find a mention of axp288 in any kernel config file, could it
be known by another name?

> I just noticed my older kernels didn't enable many things in the "Device
> drivers/GPIO support" config branch. There are many Intel things there.

I've been gradually turning on various devices in my configs in the vague hope.

The good news is that a friend who really understands linux device
drivers has bought one, and I am hoping he can fix stuff!