sensors and hardware buttons - was Re: 4.7.0-rc2

Nicolas Huillard nicolas at huillard.net
Thu Jun 30 15:46:10 CEST 2016

Le mercredi 29 juin 2016 à 17:50 +0100, Paul Mansfield a écrit :
> so in kernel 4.5 and later, we have battery charge state, charger
> connected state and lid open/closed state.

These are ACPI features, relatively standard.

> have we ever seen other sensors/signals?
> * power button

This is also a standard ACPI feature, and should be OK. I didn't check,
but soft power off wouldn't work without it.

> * volume up/down?
> * windows button

These are apparently (SharksCove reference design) directly connected to
GPIO on the SoC, and should be described in ACPI tables. This is thus
very BayTrail-specific, and will probably work sooner or later.

> * temperature sensors?

I didn't try lm_sensors, but I guess temperature sensors are also
BayTrail specific, and may not be described in the ACPI tables. There
may be sensors in the PMIC chip too (AXP288 if I remember correctly),
maybe available in some specific way.

> perhaps we simply haven't enable the right driver for some/all of these?

I just noticed my older kernels didn't enable many things in the "Device
drivers/GPIO support" config branch. There are many Intel things there.

--
NH