keeping someone out / daemon keys

Parke parke.nexus at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 18:47:54 CEST 2018

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 5:23 AM, Corey Boyle <coreybrett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would spokes loose their connection we each other if the hub went offline?

I believe the spoke would remain connected to the mesh.  However, if a
spoke went offline, it would not be able to reconnect until the hub
came back on line.

You could easily have multiple hubs.  (Or every node could be a hub,
i.e. have keys and connection information for every other node.)

> Also, what's the minimum required exchange for a node to connect to
> another? Do both nodes need to exchange public keys, or just one with
> the other?

Tinc will distribute every known (i.e. trusted) public key to every
currently connected node.

When there is traffic between two nodes, each will attempt to connect
directly to the other.  (This happens after Tinc has, automatically,
provided each node the other's key and IP address..)

Cheers,

Parke