Tinc invite options

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Thu Oct 11 20:23:37 CEST 2018

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 01:55:28PM +0200, Wouter Verstraeten wrote:

> We are trying the Tinc invites to let nodes join the network.
>
> This is working as described but we want to push some configuration for
> some nodes but this seemed not to be working.
[...]
> We wanted to add “TunnelServer = yes” to the invitation hoping Tinc would
> know to put it into the tinc.conf file.
>
> But thinc told us it did not understand the parameter.
>
> Do we do something wrong, or are not all “experimental” features supported
> in the invitation files?

Actually, only a subset of the options are considered to be safe to be
used for invitation files. These are:

AutoConnect, Broadcast, BroadcastSubnet, ConnectTo, Mode, Subnet and
Weight.

Many options don't make sense to push in an invitation, but the list
could perhaps by extended by some options, such as TunnelServer,
StrictSubnets, and some others. I've also had a request to support the
--force option for joins, to allow any statement to be pushed in an
invitation. I'll add these things and update the documentation in the
next release.