tinc disconnects

Sergio Callegari sergio.callegari at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 13:51:15 CET 2018

On 13/11/18 00:35, Parke wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 1:17 AM Sergio Callegari
> <sergio.callegari at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Error looking up <host B> port 655: System error
>>
>> this goes on every few minutes. Note that the host B is perfectly resolvable by
>> the nameserver and perfectly contactable via ping.
>> On both systems, tinc is run in a chroot as debian derivatives suggest.
> Do programs running inside the chroot environment know how to contact
> the nameservers?
Looks like they do, otherwise I guess that they would not be able to set upthe
tinc VPN from the beginning. However, I have noticed that the mechanism forthe
dns queries in the system is not as simple as it used to be. I have a systemd
resolved daemon in the middle that is said to do caching. I am now wondering if
the resolution from the chroot may be influenced by this (e.g. succeed in case
the name is hit in the cache, fail in some other case). I am not sure of how
this hypothesis can be tested.

>> What can the problem be? Is there anything I can try for a diagnosis?
> Replace host names with IP addresses and see what happens?

I will try this.  Thanks,

Sergio