[ timeouts ]

Sergiusz Pawlowicz sergiusz at pawlowicz.name
Tue Nov 13 11:06:25 CET 2018

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 17:00, CaffeineAddiction
<caffeineaddiction at gmail.com> wrote:

> I actually run my setup in pretty much the same way ... VPS w/ Nginx <- Tinc -> Dedicated physical server with multiple sites.  Though I have never had problems with it.  Could you provide some more detail about what you mean by timeout?  Are clients getting a timeout connecting to Nginx or is Nginx giving an error connecting to the remote sites?  Do you have any other type of logging, like a continuous ping from the Nginx box to the Remote box?

The service which is proxied is Matrix
(https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse), which is probably more
specific setup than you have. It is what I see in the nginx reverse
proxy error log:

2018/11/13 09:47:25 [error] 12191#12191: *5005629 connect() failed
(110: Connection timed out) while connecting to upstream, client:
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Please note, if the Matrix is on the same server as nginx, there are
no timeouts - so definitely I am sure it is related to tinc managed
WAN hop.

Serge