iproute2 problems

Robert Horgan robert at nsasia.co.th
Tue Jun 12 12:11:44 CEST 2018

Hi Thanks

removing the first line "ip tuntap add dev $INTERFACE mode tun" seems to have helped regarding the tun error, however it is not connecting.  If I stop the tinc service and then run:

root at web3:~# tincd -n gainplus -d -D
tincd 1.0.33 starting, debug level 1
/dev/net/tun is a Linux tun/tap device (tun mode)
Listening on 10.130.69.123 port 655
Ready
Trying to connect to db1 (10.130.39.180 port 655)
Timeout from db1 (10.130.39.180 port 655) during authentication
Could not set up a meta connection to db1
Trying to re-establish outgoing connection in 5 seconds
Trying to connect to db1 (10.130.39.180 port 655)
^\Got QUIT signal
Statistics for Linux tun/tap device (tun mode) /dev/net/tun:
 total bytes in:           0
 total bytes out:          0
Closing connection with db1 (10.130.39.180 port 655)
Closing connection with web3 (MYSELF)

db1 firewall is OK (existing tinc traffic connecting and PF rule for this server in place) and I wonder whether the message

Timeout from db1 (10.130.39.180 port 655) during authentication

indicates a connection failing authentication

Both 18.04 servers indicating same problem

thanks

>>> "Robert Horgan" <robert at nsasia.co.th> 11-Jun-18 8:43 AM >>>

I currently am using tinc 1.0.33 on a 4 node Ubuntu 14.04 server network at Digital Ocean connecting on the Eth1 private network interfaces.  This works great.

Recently I added two more Ubuntu 18.04 servers at the same location and attempted to link them to the Tinc mesh already established.  The 18.04 servers do not allow me to use the net-tools ipconfig command and so I have adapted my tinc-up commands to use iproute2 commands.

#!/bin/sh
# tinc-up
ip tuntap add dev $INTERFACE mode tun
ip addr add 10.0.0.3/24 dev $INTERFACE
ip link set dev $INTERFACE up

However, when I run this command I get the error
Error: either "name" is duplicate, or "tun" is a garbage.
Command line is not complete. Try option "help"
Cannot find device "up"

I have tried variations of the commands in the tinc-up file, but cannot get a result without errors.

my /etc/tinc/vpn/tinc.conf file:
Name = web3
AddressFamily = ipv4
BindToAddress = 10.132.115.166 (changed)
Interface = tun0
ConnectTo = db1

systemctl status tinc:
tinc.service - Tinc VPN
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tinc.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled

Question, when using iproute2 on ubuntu 18.04 should I use a different configuration for tinc-up?