iproute2 problems

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Jun 11 08:03:24 CEST 2018

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 08:43:26AM +0700, Robert Horgan wrote:

> Recently I added two more Ubuntu 18.04 servers at the same location and attempted to link them to the Tinc mesh already established.  The 18.04 servers do not allow me to use the net-tools ipconfig command and so I have adapted my tinc-up commands to use iproute2 commands.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # tinc-up
> ip tuntap add dev $INTERFACE mode tun
> ip addr add 10.0.0.3/24 dev $INTERFACE
> ip link set dev $INTERFACE up
>
> However, when I run this command I get the error
> Error: either "name" is duplicate, or "tun" is a garbage.
> Command line is not complete. Try option "help"
> Cannot find device "up"

You don't need to create a tuntap interface yourself, tinc will do this
for you. So you can just omit the whole "ip tuntap add ..." line.
However, the error messages suggest that $INTERFACE is empty, which is
weird... Did you call tinc-up manually or does this also happen when you
start tinc using "tincd -n vpn -d -D"?