Tinc looking at wrong directory when given name command

Brian Rau rausmac at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 20:09:08 CET 2017

I’m having what seems like a strange issue. Tinc was working just fine, then it suddenly stopped connecting this week with the error:

Connection refused
Could not set up a meta connection

I’ve run ‘tincd -n myvpnname -D -d5’ to debug and I get this in the log:

2017-11-02 02:36:06 tinc[1626]: Cannot open config file /etc/tinc/tinc.conf: No such file or directory
2017-11-02 02:36:06 tinc[1626]: Failed to read `/etc/tinc/tinc.conf': No such file or directory

While that is indeed correct, there’s no tinc.conf in my tinc directory, I’m confused why it’s even trying to read from that directory when I’ve specifically given it the name command. All of my files in /etc/tinc/myvpnname/ and /etc/tinc/myvpnname/hosts/ are exactly the same as they were when it worked last week. This log is consistent on both the machine that’s connecting and the one that’s being connected to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.