Create network of untrusted peers (like SocialVPN, ChaosVPN, etc)

Glauber Ferreira glaubermmf at gmcomms.com.br
Mon Dec 18 20:37:51 CET 2017

For some weeks I've been trying to devise a way to connect multiple users in various parts of the city and state, and I found out that most likely Tinc is the only daemon that does the kind of meshing I want.

I was successful in connecting some servers of mine around in switch mode, but now comes the hard part: How can I authenticate clients on my network? I would also need to direct static leases and subnets to them, is this safely possible on switch mode? What other kind of attacks should I be aware of? (Impersonation, Any kinds of malicious broadcasts, etc)

For now, my configuration is that every peer connects to a master node where there's also a dnsmasq daemon which hands out IPs.