Feedback about OpenWrt and Tinc version to be packaged.

Anton Voyl awiouy at gmail.com
Sun May 29 10:31:05 CEST 2016

Hello Saverio,

In my experience, tinc 1.0 and tinc 1.1 coexist, provided they are at compatible minor versions.

However, tinc for openwrt comes with wrapper scripts, which need to be adapted to accomodate diverging tinc 1.0 and 1.1 configuration variables.

I had given a shot a it (https://github.com/awiouy/openwrt-tinc-1.1, runs on my routers).

Incidentally, I was wondering whether the wrapper scripts are really pertinent, since they complicate both configuration and maintenance. Moreover, most how-tos I read configure tinc in /etc/tinc rather than in /etc/config.

You could maybe provide distinct packages, tinc and tinc-1.1, and let users decide which of them they install. This would also allow to rethink/rewrite the package, and not worry too much about migration from 1.0 to 1.1. What do you think?

Thank you for your attention, and regards,

@