AW: issue with tinc and libvirt / Network is already in use by interface tun0

shad0wrunner at gmx.de shad0wrunner at gmx.de
Sat Mar 5 11:19:39 CET 2016

>> Nice hint, but it's not this simple. Libvirt complains about the
>> network not the interface. The interfaces have different names already.
>> It seems like tinc bind the subnet on startup and libvirt doesn't
>> like it

> Well, if it's about the subnet, then it's up to you to change the
> Subnets in the host config files (and change the tinc-up script
accordingly if necessary), or somehow convince libvirt to use a different
range of IP addresses for its bridge interface.

Sorry, I don't get it. I thought the Subnet parameter is indented for
routing local nets to the remote host.
This way a remote host can access the provided  local nets.

What I have is my host A with vms (ips within 192.168.1.0/24).
My host A has a bridge to the  vm's network. The bridge has the IP
192.168.1.1. Furthor more my host A has a tinc device tun0 with the IP
192.168.2.10.

 My host A has A static internet IP.

I want to connect Host B to Host A via tinc. Host B should be able to access
all VM's within the network  192.168.1.0/24. To get this to work I have to
create on both hosts a hostfile with the name A.conf containing the entries:

Address = XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Subnet = 192.168.1.0/24
Subnet = 192.168.2.10/32

right? Or am I wrong?

When I use this entries it works. But only as long as I start libvirt before
tinc.
When I start tinc before libvirt  then I get this error message " Network is
already in use by interface tuno"

When I remove the entry

Subnet = 192.168.1.0/24

I can't reach the vm's from host B even when I set a route by hand.
It seems like tinc passes only packets on for networks which are listed as
provided networks.