respawning dead tinc process

pjv pjv at pjv.me
Fri Jan 29 15:07:13 CET 2016

I have tinc 1.1pre11 running on various routers and linux cloud servers. On one of the cloud servers, under Ubuntu 12.04, tinc is mysteriously dying once in a while, leaving a dangling PID. I have been unable to track down why it is dying, but it happens infrequently enough that I care less about why it is dying than how to robustly respawn it when it dies.

Before I re-invent the wheel, has anyone come up with a solution for automatically detecting a dead tincd and respawning the process on linux?