tinc vpn - node to node communication

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Feb 22 15:48:24 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 05:41:05PM +0300, Yazeed Fataar wrote:

> Ok I have a simple lab setup with three nodes , one acting as the "Central
> Node" and the other two as remote nodes which "*ConnectTo*" the central
> node in order to be able to communicate with each other.
>
> What I would like to know is , once the tinc remote nodes establish a
> connection to the "Central Node" , my understanding was that if the remote
> nodes want to communicate with each other the data traffic will be flowing
> through the central node. When I did a tcpdump on central node (both tun0
> and eth0) interfaces I cannot see the ICMP traffic on central node ?!? How
> does tinc pass the data traffic without the central node... hopefully not
> by MAGIC :) ...

If the remote nodes want to communicate with each other, then if
possible they will do so directly without going through the central
node. However, if that is not possible for some reason (because of NAT
for example), then it will go via the central node. But in that case,
the tinc daemon on the central node will handle the forwarding
internally, you will not see those packets when you run tcpdump on the
central node's tun0 or eth0 interfaces (but if you set Forwarding =
kernel on the central node, then you will see the packets on tun0).