Automated Windows installer

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Sat Oct 17 14:54:17 CEST 2015

On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 02:54:01PM +0700, Рысь wrote:

> The problem starts with Windows itself. We have tap-win{32,64}
> directories. Inside them, there is a few batch files and tapinstall.exe
> binary. It actually performs installation process of TAP driver and
> new interface.
>
> And that's it: I can't safely rename interface from installer batch
> file. If it comes with name "Local Area Connection", then I can rename
> it. But if user has many unrenamed "Local Area Connection"'s? And
> localization issues: in Russia, it's always "Подключение по локальной
> сети". And OS can append a number if there multiple ones.
>
> I can't link which interface belongs to which adapter: newly created,
> physical or virtual, TAP or VMWare and so on.

Have a look in src/mingw/device.c setup_device(). If you don't specify a
Device or Interface in tinc.conf, it will use the first available TAP
innterface. It finds it by going through the registry to find adapters,
and then tries to open \\\\.\\Global\\<adapter id>.tap. If the latter
succeeds, it means it's a free TAP interface.