Some basic questions

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Fri Mar 13 10:07:45 CET 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 04:54:00PM +0800, Terry T wrote:

> I'm currently running Openvpn on a multi-homed linux server. The bridge
> device br0 comprises the tap0 virtual device and the physical eth0 device.
> Eth0 is wired to the local LAN.
[...]
> I would like to try out tinc but have not got a spare machine to install
> and run it. I am wondering how I would set up the bridge device if I run
> both at the same time. Would I be able to set up another bridge device
> (br1) encompassing the same physical eth0 port and a new tap1 virtual
> device. It doesn't feel right... And even if I could, I wonder if there
> would be intermixing of vpn traffic appearing on the two tap ports.

I don't think you can add one interface to more than one bridge, but you
can add as many devices as you like to a single bridge. So just set up
tinc, and add its tap interface to br0. The tinc-up script will look
like this:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig $INTERFACE 0.0.0.0
brctl addif br0 $INTERFACE
ifconfig $INTERFACE up

You have to run tinc in switch mode or explicitly set the virtual
interface to be a tap interface using "DeviceType = tap". The bridge
will allow intermixing of VPN traffic.