Some basic questions

Terry T terryhwt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:54:00 CET 2015

I'm currently running Openvpn on a multi-homed linux server. The bridge
device br0 comprises the tap0 virtual device and the physical eth0 device.
Eth0 is wired to the local LAN.

Remote clients dial into the server's external interface eth1's udp port
1194. This works but when the number of clients increases (over 12), we see
lots of dropped packets and lost connections. We look at the interface
stats when high volume transfers occur, the tx_bytes rate averages
8Mbytes/s. Our line is symmetric 1Gbit which we are guaranteed at worst 80%
of the rated speed. So we don't think the bottleneck is on the line though
we have no means of checking it. Our server is an i5 and we don't see the

I would like to try out tinc but have not got a spare machine to install
and run it. I am wondering how I would set up the bridge device if I run
both at the same time. Would I be able to set up another bridge device
(br1) encompassing the same physical eth0 port and a new tap1 virtual
device. It doesn't feel right... And even if I could, I wonder if there
would be intermixing of vpn traffic appearing on the two tap ports.