tinc as layer 2 switch doesn't automatically mesh with other nodes

Daniel J. Grinkevich danielgrinkevich at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 14:31:49 CEST 2015

We have a handful of nodes set up.  Some are NAT'd but a few have direct
access to the Internet.

Sample confs:

HostA:
Name = HostA
AddressFamily = any
Interface = tap0
Mode = switch
Connectto = HostB
GraphDumpFile = /tmp/mesh

HostB:
Name = HostB
AddressFamily = any
Interface = tap0
Mode = switch
Connectto = HostA
GraphDumpFile = /tmp/mesh

And so on. If I use HostA as the main meta sever. None of the other nodes
will connect to each other. I was under the assumption that the nodes
should establish a mesh and not stay in this star layout.

Is this because I don't have a layer 3 setup? We are running bmx6 over the
tunnels. None of the nodes have a subnet assigned to them as we only need a
layer 2 connection.

Thanks,
Dan

--